What is microPIMS Intrinsically Safe?
MicroPIMS “I.S.” is a non-intrusive, fully wireless 900MHz / LoRaWAN ultrasonic-based corrosion/erosion and temperature monitoring sensors. Due to the extremely long range and low battery power required to drive these sensors, asset owners are using this technology in tandem with other wireless networks to move to a ‘plant of the future’ operational model. For critical process data or real-time monitoring, which require high bandwidth and battery power, asset owners use 2.4GHz. Whereas for structural health monitoring and informational data which is used to increase plant and process efficiencies or to reduce downtime: sensors such as flow, temperature, corrosion, etc. are used with 900MHz which take far less data and require less power, bandwidth, and at significantly less hardware and infrastructure cost for plant wide wireless connectivity. microPIMS can be installed quickly – in 15 mins or less – and can be deployed permanently or temporarily at low or high (-40F/C up to 932F/500C) temperatures. Because microPIMS sensors are directly coupled to the pipe, accuracy and resolution (.001” or 0.025 mm) has enabled these sensors to be deployed to augment manual inspection or during new commissioning of assets. When an active corrosion area is found or a new service or asset is commissioned, these sensors can then be deployed to monitor the affected area to provide more timely and valuable information to identify, understand and remediate the corrosion or damage mechanisms.
*Featured in Picture: Ultra-high temp sensor with band clamp
*Featured in Picture: Dual-element sensor with magnetic base
1. Industry-standard 900 MHz LoRaWAN industrial wireless connectivity = extreme long (>1 mile or 1.6 km) range. Significantly reduces infrastructure cost while enabling wireless to the entire plant
2. Star-network topology with >5,000 sensor nodes per gateway and data backhaul via cellular or ethernet
3. 15-year battery life at 1 reading per day
4. Commercially available D-cell batteries for sensors
5. Two sensor types: Standard temperature dual-element and ultra-high temperature delay line
6. Material range: 0.040” (1 mm) up to 4.0” (100 mm) w/ accuracy of 0.001” (0.025 mm)
7. Built in thermo-couple which measures surface temperature with each reading for temperature-compensated thickness data
8. Install takes ~ 15 mins with simple band straps for pipes and a magnetic base for tanks & vessels
9. Can be permanently or temporarily installed
10. Sensors rated for ATEX Zone 0 Certification / Class I, Division 1 hazardous atmospheres
11. Three data-management options: Cloud, private network or “on premise” HW/SW solution. Monthly subscription service is also available with zero capital investment.
12. Access to data is simple & secure for trending, analysis, export or reporting of corrosion-rate activity. Over-the-air capability to change set-up parameters.